Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Grandma's Sunday Rolls

Whenever we are invited over for dinner people ALWAYS ask us to bring "some of those delicious rolls", so I guess they are kind of famous. There many tricks to this recipe that bring out the perfect roll, but the best part is even if you don't follow the tricks it will still turn out great! One important thing is these rolls want to have a LONG time to rise. You can speed it up, and it will turn out but it wont be as good and wont make as many.






Grandma's Sunday Rolls
                                                                                                                                    


Heat then cool: 1 cup milk and 1 cube butter (make sure when you add this to the dough later, the temp is between 110-120*F)

Mix and moisten with a little warm water (110-120* F) 1 T yeast and 1 T sugar (An important trick here is to first completely dissolve the yeast in the warm water and then add the sugar. I have no idea why this important but it does make a difference)
 
In a large bowl, beat 3 eggs, add ½ cup sugar and 1 tsp. salt. Add milk mixture, yeast and 4 C flour (I usually use 2 cups white AP flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, and 1 cup bread flour). (You most likely will need more than 4 cups of flour, but the amount of excess flour varies every time you make it. I usually have between 1/2-1 cup extra bread flour added.)

Stir well. Dough will be sticky (if has enough flour if you can slap it with your spatula quickly and nothing sticks.The slap thing really works. Another trick I use to see if it has enough flour is when I lift my kitchen aid beater up and I can "cut" the dough off with my spatula it's done

No need to knead (if you have a kitchen aid mixer do it all in there with the paddle type attachment, but I usually attached the kneading hook on to help me determine if it has enough flour)

Cover and let rise in a cool place over night or for several hours (or speed it up in a warm oven for about an hour or so, but like I said at the beginning it wont necessarily make as many and might not poof as much) .
 
Divide dough into 2 balls. Roll into 2 circles on a floured surface (I use pam instead to keep the dough from getting stiff from all the flour, I don't use flour at all unless my dough is REALLY sticky. Spray pam on your hands too)

Cut into triangles, like cutting a pie. (If you have a silicone mat thing you are rolling it out on like I do, only use the back of a spatula to do the "cutting". Even the back of a butter knife will make cuts in the mat).  Roll into crescent rolls. Let rise in a cool area.
 
Bake at 350* for 15 minutes (Check it at about 12ish minutes, depending on the oven they make cook faster or slower. The rolls should be puffy and golden.)

Yum!! 
The yeast and sugar ready to get mixed in

Using the dough hook

"Cutting" the rolls. From this point you would just roll it up from the biggest part of the wedge to the smallest.

Rising







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! Especially if you made the recipe!

Stats