Thursday, October 13, 2011

Quinoa in the Crockpot

Quinoa is a tasty grain that is an excellent source of protein. I like to use quinoa like rice or any other filler grain. You can use it as a side dish, main dish, salad, or even put it in a soup.
 
Until today I had been simmering the quinoa on the stove, which works well. There are some great instructions on Our Best Bites. But, today I wanted to be able to throw it in the crockpot and forget about it. Which is what I did and it worked perfectly!










I recently bought a 2 quart crockpot, aka baby crock. Originally it was going to be for making oatmeal overnight, but I have since discovered other uses for a baby crock, like cooking a perfect amount of quinoa. This recipe yields about 2-3 cups cooked quinoa, so if that's too much, just half the recipe. But quinoa keeps well in the fridge and you can throw it in to just about anything later, so I like that I have about 3 cups quinoa to use.

Crockpot Quinoa
                                                           

1 1/2 cup quinoa.
3 cups water or chicken broth

First rinse the quinoa and let it soak in some water for about 5 minutes. Drain the water. Pour quinoa into crockpot. Add the 3 cups water/chicken broth. Add in any other spices you would like. I added some garlic. Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until water has been soaked up by the quinoa. Fluff with a fork and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! Especially if you made the recipe!

Stats