Friday, March 4, 2011

Baked Vegetable Sandwiches.

 After grinding some wheat in my new wheat grinder, Michelle and I made these baked sandwiches. They turned out to be delicious, even though it seems weird you are making a sandwich in a pan in the oven. I can see how this can be made in to a "clean out your fridge" type recipe because you could throw anything in the sandwich!







Baked Vegetable Sandwiches
                                                                                                   
                           
Dough
2 3/4 C flour
1 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
2 1/4 tsp. yeast
2 T olive oil
1 C cold water - I don't know why you would put cold water in a bread dough so I used  lukewarm

Sandwiches -For the veggies I mainly used whatever I had on hand and whatever I needed to use up before it was past it's prime
1 TSB butter
1 C extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded - I also used Pepper Jack (Delicious!)
1 C red pepper, diced finely- I used a green pepper
1 C broccoli, diced finely
1 C spinach, diced finely - I didn't dice mine
1 C carrots, grated
Zucchini - diced
about 1/2 can black beans
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 of onion diced
2 tsp. olive oil
garlic powder
onion powder
cayenne
salt
pepper
Italian seasoning

Dough
First proof the yeast by dissolving it in a little water and then adding a little sugar and watch it to puff. Combine flours, salt and yeast together in a bowl and mix well. Then, add oil and cold water and stir just until dough forms a ball. Kneed the dough until its soft and let it rise for about an hour. Split the dough ball in half, flatten slightly and let rise while you prep the veggies.

Sandwiches
Use a TSB of butter to saute the garlic and onion first. Then add the rest of the veggies, holding off on the spinach. When all the veggies are almost done add the spinach and cook for another 2 minutes until spinach softens then take off the heat.

Press and stretch one of the dough balls into a greased 13x9 pan. Add half of the cheese, the veggies, and any seasonings, I listed the ones I used in the ingredient list. Add the other half of the cheese and then stretch the top half of the dough to cover the veggies.

I made the top a foccacia like bread by brushing a little bit of olive oil on it and adding garlic salt, onion powder, and Italian seasoning.

Bake 375* (The recipe I followed didn't say a temp so I used 350 but I think 375 would help it cook and brown a little faster) for 15-20 minutes.
Baking



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! Especially if you made the recipe!

Stats