Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Veggie Butternut Orzo Soup

I knew the plan was soup tonight and I had originally found a recipe using butternut squash and quinoa that I wanted to make. But then I found a different soup recipe using beans, kale, and orzo. I ended up combining the two a little so I could use up some butternut. It was amazing, and healthy!





Veggie Butternut Orzo Soup

1 small Butternut Squash
2 T butter
2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick - I only had grated zucchini and it worked perfectly.
10 medium baby carrots, halved lengthwise if long (or sliced)
2 C kale (or spinach), chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (28oz) canned diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano; undrained
4 C Chicken broth
1 (15oz) can of Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed - I used red kidney beans
1 C cooked orzo
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 C grated Parmesan cheese (for top)



Peel, seed, and cube butternut squash. toss on cookie sheet with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 400* for about 30 minutes, tossing once halfway through. Set aside.

Heat oil in a large pot. Add zucchini, carrots and onions. Saute over high heat until onions are transparent, about 7 minutes. Add kale/spinach, and saute until wilted, about 3-5 minutes.

Add diced tomatoes, broth and beans. Simmer about 10 minutes, add in butternut cubes, simmer 10-20 more minutes. Stir in cooked orzo, salt and pepper.


Serve with shaved Parmesan cheese on top.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! Especially if you made the recipe!

Stats